Most training courses on process hazard analysis (PHA) focus on the technical aspects of performing studies. However, managing a team of people effectively and efficiently often poses a greater challenge to team leaders / facilitators than understanding the technical aspects of PHA. Typical technical personnel assigned to lead studies are not always adept at managing the human issues and interactions that occur between the multi-disciplinary team members who participate in studies. Consequently, training in managing teams and understanding the factors that influence team performance is vital for PHA team leaders / facilitators. Lack of skill in addressing human and psychological factors likely will lead to poor quality studies.
This training course describes the various human and psychological factors that influence the behavior and chemistry of teams and provides guidelines for dealing with them. Issues such as groupthink, peer pressure, and the compatibility of different personality types are addressed. Course attendees' understanding of the factors influencing PHA teams is enhanced using exercises and workshops. One third of the class time is spent in PHA workshop sessions practicing the people management methods taught in the course.
You will learn:
- How leadership styles affect the team
- How to select competent participants
- Psychological factors that influence the performance of participants
- Psychological phenomena that affect teams
- How to maintain the pace and keep the focus of studies
- How to avoid digressions and distractions
- How to keep team members involved and energized
- How to motivate team members
- How to ensure the team works together effectively
- How people make incorrect decisions
- How to deal with difficult people
- Nature and sources of conflict
- How to manage conflict
- How to avoid psychological pitfalls in PHA
Be able to effectively and efficiently lead / facilitate PHA studies involving teams of people.
Individuals who act as leaders / facilitators of PHA study teams.
Experience or formal training as a PHA team leader, such as Primatech's training course, Process Hazard Analysis (PHA) for Team Leaders, or equivalent.
- Leadership, management and facilitation
- Human factors in study preparation
- Psychological factors that influence PHA
- Human factors in conducting studies
- Decision making in PHA
- Guidelines for working with the PHA team
- Overcoming challenges
- Managing conflict
- Psychological pitfalls in PHA
Duration / Credits
- Three days
- 2.1 CEUs or 21 PDHs awarded
- For USA Courses, see Schedule